Another addition to our Digital Marketing Hub!. Each week we'll be releasing a new post.
According to Podcast insights, 51% of the US population has listened to a podcast. They also add that podcast listeners are loyal, affluent and educated.
What is a podcast?
Podcasts are audio content marketing tools similar to talk Radio. Podcasts gained popularity in the last few years, as it is a great educational and entertaining channel, available on various platforms (Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google podcasts and even your own website).
Why is there a surge in podcast listeners?
People prefer a podcast, as they can listen to their favourite topics on the go, wherever they are, whatever they are doing. This is why more and more brands chose podcasts as a marketing tool that encourages conversation with their audience and adds more value to their business.
Why podcasts should be added to your content marketing strategy?
A podcast can influence the purchasing behaviour of customers. It is a personal medium showing the human side of a brand. Text is too little and video is too much. Podcasts are changing the narrative around the dwindling attention span of online users.
Podcasts, due to their specificity, can help you establish yourself as an authoritative figure in your industry, bring value to your business and build up trust. Think about a podcast as a great way to tell your story to a captive audience, who seeks your help and needs your support.
Top 5 most popular podcast genres:
- Society & Culture
- News & Politics
✔️ You gain visibility and people will recognise your brand easily
✔️ You engage with your audience on a very personal level
✔️ It has a viral potential as it can be easily shared on other social media networks
❌ You might need some special audio system to record. Also, you need some knowledge to edit the final version, before sharing it with the world
❌ You have to follow a regular schedule, once you start podcasting
❌ You need to be passionate about the subject that you are talking about, as it can be hard to fake enthusiasm and all your efforts will be in vain
What businesses can use a podcast?
Podcast can be used in almost any industry: beauty/fashion industry, cryptocurrency industry, design industry, education industry, entertainment industry, entrepreneurship industry, financial Services industry, fund-raising industry, law industry, learning industry, marketing & advertising industry, music industry, news media industry, telecommunication industry, traveling industry, writing and editing industry, etc.
How to start your own podcast?
- Before starting a podcast you should think about the reason behind it. Why do you want to start a podcast? What do you want to achieve? (want more leads, brand awareness, to place yourself as an authoritative figure, etc.).
- If you know the goal you want to achieve, pick a topic for your show and a name. One of the most important requirements is to be passionate about the subject you choose.
- Now you have to pay attention to the show format - the length of episodes, the periodicity, the tone of voice, the episode format, etc.
- If you have a theme, you need to design the cover of the podcast, the one that people will be recognising you by. Feel free to be creative, but make sure you use the same branding.
- Get an intro or choose an intro song, whichever works for you. Just make sure you have the rights to use the song.
- Now it’s time to choose a microphone. Choose an audio system that is high quality, this is very important. If you have everything you need, you can start doing some research and make a list of people you would like to interview or to be guests on your podcast.
- Before you start recording the podcast plan the agenda, you will be in charge of the topics.
- Don’t forget to be passionate, and to try to engage with your audience, even though they can’t listen to your podcast in real-time.
- Now that you have everything, choose an editing software that you can use to create your podcast. There are many options out there that you can use and are free of charge.
- Press the recording button. When you finish recording you have to make some edits before you can share it with the world.
- Choose a podcast host. You can add the podcast to multiple channels, such as Spotify, Apple Podcasts or even your website.
- Upload your first episode and start promoting it.
How to make money with podcast?
This blog assumes that you are using podcasting to advertise your brand or website. Accordingly, it is a form of advertisement by itself. But it is worth noting that if your podcast assembles a substantial audience, you might have the ability to monetise it. Advertising, sponsorships, and affiliate programmes can help you offset the costs of listing and set another flow of earnings - however, they could also turn some members away.
Podcast and SEO
Every new podcast episode is a piece of the content that could be found in search engines. The procedure for optimising your podcast for podcast websites is quite like website-specific SEO. You are going to have to optimise for specific keyword phrases and enhance your standing.
Podcasts are a path to increase the ability and visibility of your primary website but, you must consider boosting the podcast's visibility and authority. Many people find podcasts by running searches for subjects that interests them. Accordingly, you ought to optimise for all these podcast-specific search engines.
Over the years, as your podcast gets more popular, it will attract more extended citations and other kinds of hyperlinks. This is very important for improving your domain authority, making it much easier for your website to rank. If you are considering building another domain name, you can do this also, with your podcast as a motor of personal assistance.
Podcasting is a solid complement to your current content advertising efforts, and it may stand on its own as a route to revenue generation should you treat it correctly. However, to be prosperous, you will want some way to differentiate yourself from the numerous opponents, a high emphasis on quality, and continuous refinement with the support of analysis and measurement.
It is a complicated and nuanced content advertising medium, but getting started is much easier than most people believe. Give it a go, and see whether it may work for your brand.